Monday, October 25, 2010

Studying 1 Corinthians 13

Yesterday's message at Church touched me a lot. Not only because it was specifically designed for someone near and dear to my heart, but because reminded me that He allows trials in our life to expose our heart. Ha, yeah I was failing that test miserably. I have found that what's in my heart is dark, selfish and wavering. It is also proud and insecure. So, I begun to dig deep into my Word to pray that He will change my heart first, and then the heart of those near and dear to me. I began digging deep into 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, the chapter on love. I started on James, went to 1 Peter and ended up in 1 Corinthians. It was a beautifully designed path the Lord took me on. Well, I wanted to share my findings. I'm stuck on 1 Corinthians 13:4. "Love is patient, love is kind." When looking in my concordance the Greek word for patient and kind (because I'm an absolute nerd and love words and their true meanings), it brought conviction in my heart and I've been praying these characteristics into my heart the last 24 hours. Here is what I found:

-patient: makrothymeo: to be of long spirit, not to lose heart. to persevere patiently and bravely in enduring misfortunes. to be patient in bearing the offenses of others. to be mild (which is defined as humble in spirit and manner) and slow in avenging. slow to anger, slow to punish.
-kind: chresteumoai: to show oneself mild (which is defined as humble in spirit and manner), use kindness.

I would just like to say 100% of divorces are caused by the lack of these two characteristics.

No comments:

Post a Comment